Ethiopia Trip

Sunday, November 19, 2006

TIGRAY DAY 2
Today I spent the morning with my host here Mered from REST-he told me about the 'Watershed' projects that are funded jointly by CAFOD, TROCAIRE (Irish equivalent of CAFOD), Christian Aid and the EU. They seem to hit the nail on the head. Thay are about building sustainable environments and livelihoods by both practical help and training. A quick back of the envelope calculation told me that the project cost one pound per beneficiary per month for the the 3 year duration. I'm seeing the projects for myself tomorrow - but assuming my sums are right (and I will check!) then its an incredible return on investment - it will have transformed (and probably also saved) many lives.
More to come on this.
I was then a guest at the weddding of one of Mered's work colleagues. This was indeed a great privilege and a unique experience - I've much too much to say about it for a blog! I was the only farenji (white) guest.
Suffice to say when the 'elders' realised who I was I was given special treatment (guests in Tigray are to be treated like Angels). This included a bottle of Fanta - I had no intention of drinking the brown fluid put in front of me - but I did pretend - honest! Also when, to avoid eating too much of one iffy dish, I said I found it too hot (not true for those who know me - I like things hot!) I was presented with an even more unpalatable dish of grissle which wasn't spicy. Another elder saw my predicament and gave the food to the kids (who were not being fed) to finish off. The strange thought I had was that I am probably older than many of the 'elders'.
Talking of kids - they couldn't take their eyes off me. They are wide eyed with disarming smiles (they know this and use it when begging!). They just loved it when I turned the miniscreen on my CamCorder around so they could see themselves.
The drive back from the wedding in Axum to Adua was at dusk and just made the scenary even more stunning. It's great to have internet here at the Don Bosco House - more about that another time.
Mike
Mike

2 Comments:

At 11:49 AM, Blogger Rosa said...

Am thoroughly enjoying your accounts Mike. Please keep them coming. I was part of a group which visited Ethiopia and Tigray in October 2005 on a similar exposure visit with CAFOD. Your words are just a wonderful reminder of the this beautiful country. It's well over a year since I've been back and I'm still telling everyone about it! It's amazing to see the work CAFOD does and its effect on whole communities.

Enjoy the moment. I'm with you all in spirit!

Best wishes, Rosa Trelfa (now working for CAFOD in the diocese of Lancaster, UK)

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger frank sudlow said...

Mike,

This is fantastic stuff. I feel we are alomost with you as you travel through the country. How great it must be to see the land alive after the rains - how precious is the water??

I'll be visiting St Bernard's on Wednesday and will tell them to read your blog.

Frank

 

Post a Comment

<< Home