Ethiopia Trip

Sunday, November 19, 2006

TIGRAY
I arrived yesterday after an eventful flight which I won't bore you with now. Nothing had prepared me for the reality of my first few hours here - no television footage, photos or talks from people who had been before adequately describe the reality.
Unmade up main roads, swarming people, camels, goats and cattle seemingly oblivious to our minibus. The most stunning scenaery I have ever seen.
What was most striking was not the poverty, begging or dust - I expected all of these - but the relative silence. Stand still and all you hear are people talking, kids playing and animals - for miles around. The complete lack of background hubbub (apart from the odd truck or minbus) was quite overwhelming.
Thay had very good rains this year and the harvest is looking OK - heaven help them when the rains fail as they did in 1985 and several times since.
But that's what I'm here to see - how weall are helping build sustainable livlihoods that are not totally at the whim of the climate.
I can't wait to see more of this beautiful place.
Mike

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home