Ethiopia Trip

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

I'M GOING TO BE BUSY!
I leave here at 0530 tomorrow to fly to Dire Dawa. I am visiting HCS (Hararghe Diocese Catholic Secretariat), a CAFOD/Trocaire partner and will be looked after by Belayneh Belete. They are looking at ways to build on the ability of many of their local farmers to grow a wider range of crops by identifying new market opportunities. They are working on pilot projects for tomatoes and milk. If successful this develops even greater income sustainability than that which I saw last time in Adua. My role is to test their ideas against basic marketing practice (something they are not familiar with – but think I am!). From my preparation I can see that they have great ideas but they need underpinning by questioning some of their assumptions – so I think I might be of help. I expect to meet lots of local people as well as spending time with Belayneh and his colleagues.

I return here late Friday, with a free Saturday (at the moment!). On Sunday I fly to Mekelle (Tigray capital) to be part of the team learning the lessons from the watershed projects that I saw last November. I am not going back to Adua, but will visit the other half of the project near to Mekelle. This means I will only meet my former REST host, Merid, briefly. However I expect to see lots more evidence of the life changes this project has achieved. Whilst in Mekelle I will also meet up with the Daughters of Charity, whose work I saw in Alitena last time. One task I have is to deliver to them 20 football shirts I have brought with me - a gift from a school in Nottingham. I am in Mekelle until late Friday 11th, returning then to Addis before flying home on Sunday 13th.

This is very different from last time when I was looking, learning and building stories for talks and media coverage. Actually I’m doing just that again – but this time also working with the CAFOD/Trocaire team and their partners to help them achieve even more in the future.

I doubt I’ll be bored!

I’m not sure what internet capabilities there are in Dire Dawa, so my next few days update may not be published until Saturday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home