Ethiopia Trip

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

DIRE DAWA

A flawless flight in a Fokker that landed early. Also on the flight, bound for HCS, were Amelle and Jaques from the French CAFOD equivalent. They were 2 days late having been stranded in Mekelle by a broken 737! They have to compress their review of their projects into 3 rather than 5 days - to ensure they are still home in time for the French elections.

I met my host Belayneh who introduced me to all his colleagues - it's a struggle remembering one name let alone half dozen! We had an initial chat about HCS marketing programmes and particularly the one funded by CAFOD/Trocaire. I find this very exciting as it's aimed at creating and fulfilling demand from 'transformational products' - to generate higher income than can be obtained from commodity product supply. As a pilot they are looking to produce tomato paste and sauce from the excess supply of tomatoes (made possible by the type of watershed project I saw on my last trip). This would give a further sustainability to the local farmers and if successful could be shown to local business people to persuade them to replicate the process in other areas and for other products. Currently these products are imported and are in great demand as ingredients in many recipes popular with Muslims who form 90% of the local population here.

I think this is going to be extremely interesting (even if a bit sad!!)


MAY 1st ETHIOPIAN HOLIDAY

This was a day of work rest and play! For the first time ever in Ethiopia I got the water adjusted to the right temperature for a shower. As I stepped in, the shower cable exploded from the taps sending water everywhere including all over my towel. So the shower became a wash.

After doing some preparation for the Dire Dawa trip I went for a stroll round the square. I was joined by a respectable looking Ethiopian who asked how I liked the hotel and, as I looked puzzled, explained that I didn't recognise him out of the hotel uniform. He said he was going to a holiday culture show that was designed for firenji and he would be happy for me to go with him. By now the alarm bells were yelling at me so I claimed I had an urgent meeting at the Hotel and turned round and walked away! Jannie later confirmed it was a con-trick designed to get me to part with an extortionate amount of money for a pretty ropey show! Phew!

I went for a sandwich at the bar overlooking the Ghion gardens. There were lots of wedding parties; apparently they stop by the Ghion and pay to have their photos taken in the gardens. One party was quite large and I was quickly surrounded by the guests ordering drinks. The man next to me explained how he used to work in Bradford - where everyone assumed he was from Pakistan! It transpired that he had worked for the US equivalent of CAFOD and knew the people I was due to meet from HCS in Dire Dawa.

At 5 Jannie picked me up and took me home for a Barbecue. It was good to meet his wife, Bev - just returned from 2 weeks in the UK - again, as we had spent a lot of time together on the previous trip. Their sons Daniel and Ioan were in typical 4 and 7 year old form. We spoke a lot about Ethiopia, the Region and CAFOD, before Jannie delivered me back to the Ghion at about 9.30. The next day was to begin at 5.30.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home