Ethiopia Trip

Saturday, May 12, 2007

WATER IS LIFE

Back in Addis yesterday (Friday) evening. The presentation at REST has given me a plethora of stories as well as a lot more background to their work and a better understanding of what determines the quality of its outcomes.

I met Merid from Adua (who looked after me there on my last trip). I gave him copies of my book, a book on marketing he had requested and a small present for his boys. He told me a lot about how things had developed in Adua since November. The spring at the St Michael watershed is still flowing; more gabion has been obtained to strengthen many of the block dams and the ‘metalworking bakers’ now sell to passing cars and minibuses as well as to their own villagers – a sort of drive in bread shop. I suggested we bought them a proper switch for their electricity supply! He even came with me in the car to the airport just to say ‘farewell’.

So now I’m waiting to come home, organising the files on my laptop and wondering what to do with the mass of information I have collected – any comments would be very welcome. Do I write another book, as a diary, like the first one? Or do I write a book of many of the stories of people I have met with comments on the lessons they teach us? Please give me any thoughts you have either by writing a blog comment or emailing me at mscoote@googlemail.com

I am haunted by one image from the presentation. Before the project many women (and then it was always the women) had to walk 5 hours to queue to collect algae infested water. On one occasion the queue was so long that one woman gave birth whilst waiting. Just picture that.

I am beginning to collect information on how many people now benefit from a secure supply of pure water - 15 years ago it was less than 1%. It is now getting somewhere between 35% and 40% (more research needed!). On one hand this is wonderful progress by the Government and Aid Agencies – on the other it means that well over half the population have still to walk, queue and collect unclean water.

I am looking forward to getting home. I am guiltily waiting to taste fresh fruit and salad again!

More when I get back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home